Thursday, June 17, 2010

Is Mr Wrong actually Mr Right?

Is it possible that Mr Wrong is actually Mr Right?

I have now managed to stay on the internet dating site for an entire week - a recent record for me... and I just am not seeing him - Mr Right.  I try...I really try to look and to be honest, I am just not seeing what I am looking for.  It also appears as if the men out there are experiencing the same thing when it comes to me too.  Well, that's not completely true - I have received a couple of messages - from men who live a good 9 hour drive from me.  One of them my daughter looked at his photo and said he had a scary look in his eyes.  He wrote in text language and stated that he has a "crazy personality".... is that meant to be enticing? Another fellow had more pictures of his kids and his motorbike posted than of himself(even that one had his kids in the photo)... makes me wonder if his kids are actually the selling point here.  He forwarded me his email address which was his name and his ex-partners name... nice one... and then commented that he was looking to hang with a "yummy mummy"...hmmmm...

Pickings are a bit slim it seems.  But then here's the thing - I think that I am a pretty good catch.  I reckon I am one of those girls that once you meet and actually manage a conversation with me you discover that I am quite interesting and one could even venture to say, attractive.  That is interesting in the good way, not interesting in the 'hmmmm-raise one eyebrow' kind of way.  I know there are probably heaps of men on that site that are the same...but we just don't get past that first hurdle... the photo/profile.

How do I know if one of these Mr Wrongs is actually Mr Right?

The problem for me at the moment is that I am getting fed up with it already... I think I have spent too many years/months scanning through the seemingly endless pages of profiles - looking for the spark, the zing ... the one.

I have met some amazing people on the site - many of them are still friends of mine - and for that I am grateful.  But it is time to move on... to try something else... a different avenue...

Any suggestions?

Someone suggested speed dating... has anyone out there done this?  I think it is the dating game where you sit and chat with a guy for a couple of minutes, then move to the next one, the next one... and so on... then at the end of the night decide if you want to see any of them again and vise versa.  Ugh.

My friends are a bunch of slackers... okay, that's not really true at all - I have great friends... but they haven't hosted any dinner parties where lovely single men have been invited for me to meet - ever.  I am continually the third, 5th, 7th, 9th wheel... the majority of my friends have partners... you'd think something would rub off eventually...

Anyway, back to my original question.  Perhaps Mr Wrong, who I never bother to meet, is Mr Right.  Maybe the zing factor is there, but I just haven't gotten close enough to find out.  A friend of mine mentioned that her husband (who is very much her Mr Right) was very much Mr Wrong on first meeting... the complete opposite in every way to someone she would have picked if listing his physical characteristics and what he got up to on a daily basis.  Here's the catch though - they had spark... they had that SOMETHING.... and that 'something' has sustained them through thick and thin.  It forms the core of the relationship that they can rely on to be there when at times things around them feel as if they are crumbling.  That's what I want to experience...

So perhaps I should change the title of my quest... a 40something woman's quest for the Mr Wrong or Right who is actually Mr Right... kind of covers all the bases don't you think?

1 comment:

  1. Like your writing, and so identify with you! Damn, Mr Right-Wrong is hard to find!

    ReplyDelete